All,

I can't get setup-storage to create a partition at the end of a disk with a specific size. It has to be a range or it doesn't work. The config below works on a machine with a 250Gb disk. It creates a 70Gb root partition on /dev/sda1 and a 145 Gb partition on /dev/sda6.

disk_config disk1 bootable:1 align-at:4k
primary / 60G-90G ext3 rw,relatime
logical  swap          4G-8G   swap   rw
logical  /export      120G-160G   ext3  rw,relatime

But the following config does not work, erroring out during partitioning with the message that /dev/sda1 is too small.

disk_config disk1 bootable:1 align-at:4k
primary / 60G-90G ext3 rw,relatime
logical  swap          4G-8G   swap   rw
logical  /export      140G   ext3  rw,relatime

In other words, by itself, given a range, it will create a 145Gb partition as /dev/sda6. But if I ask it to create a smaller, 140Gb partition at the end of the disk, it crashes.

I'm trying to use FAI to create a bunch of machines with space for a distributed network file system (glusterfs). All the "bricks" have to be the same size. So /dev/sda6 has to be the same size on all machines, preferably as large as possible. If the disk is 300Gb instead of 250Gb, I still want a 140Gb partition at the end. And the reason I want it at the end is that I have to be able to explain the partitioning scheme to people who are not real knowledgable of linux. For example, I had some difficulty explaining to someone that they can't do a dual-boot install unless they see an NTFS partition at the beginning of the disk. It doesn't matter what is in there but FAI can't preserve a partition that doesn't exist.

Well, that example doesn't really apply directly in this case because these are linux-only machines. The point is that I'd really like thepartitioning to more or less match that of a machine where you did a regular debian install. I'd like to be able to say "The first primary partition will be the operating system and the second will contain some swap space and then space for user files, either /home or /export."

Antwort per Email an