Two things for you to check:

1. Perhaps a firmware issue, on Debian I found a package named "firmware-realtek".

2. I have several systems with 2 network cards and there is an approximately 2 minute time-out when the second network card is not connected to a network where it can grab an address. If this is your situation, you can ignore the other network card with an option similar to:

ip=eth0:dhcp

in your boot configuration.

Bob