Switching mailers, so the discussion is a bit more readable.

I am having problems setting up FAI on a Xenial system using the stock packages. fai-setup is failing. The last few lines of the run are:

Which FAI version are you using?

Building a Ubuntu nfsroot may not work. Then create a Debian nfsroot,
but install Ubuntu on your clients. This combination will work.

The version that is in the Xenial archive right now is 5.0.3ubuntu1.

Okay, I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.

Same problem.  What I did was to edit /etc/fai/nfsroot.conf and set
FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP to "jessie http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/";

I add the Debian apt keys to /etc/fai/apt/keys

What else should I try?

Bill

--
Bill