I tried doing a global replace on the mk-basefile script s/XENIAL/ARTFUL/g but when I ran the modified script, it created a 4k file that didn't work as a basefile. So then I just copied the Ubuntu zesty/17.04 basefile to artful/17.10 and it appears to have worked. An installation is proceeding as I write.

But I think that the documentation on the steps to manually build a basefile would be helpful. I don't suppose you still have that documentation for installing ubuntu around do you? All I remember is that it suggested booting from a live Ubuntu ISO and then running pbuilder. It doesn't look as if mk-basefile uses pbuilder though which confuses me.