> Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 13:57:46 -0800
> From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Yes, of course.  However, some filesystems will have large inode numbers
> for all, or nearly all, files.

Then systems with such filesystems will not be backwards-compatible
with older linux applications or non-LFS linux applications, which is
to say most of them.  Such applications will be easily recognized
because they try to call stat() (or a variant) rather than stat64().

I would recommend not designing such filesystems, or not using them,
or having the kernel translate inode numbers.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>