On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 18:57, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Badari Pulavarty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >  Most of DB2 customers use filesystem for their database. Under the load,
> >  they complain that entire memory in the system is used by filesystem
> >  pagecache, freememory is very low and system starts swapping crazy OR
> >  see lots of memory allocation failures and OOM killer kills db2.
> >  slabinfo shows lots of bufferheads and VM folks claim that, bufferheads
> >  are holding a ref. on the pages, so they can't use them. So, I want
> >  to find the truth in the story and findout what exactly happening here
> >  and which one to blame (VM or FS or IO problems) ?
> >
> >  BTW, all these on 2.4 kernels and I don't have a reproducible testcase
> >  :(
> >
> >  Feb 7 05:35:17 nmcopsu41 kernel: ENOMEM in do_get_write_access,
> >  retrying.
>
> Do these machines have a large amount of highmem?
>
> If so, yes, you can oom because lots of highmem pages have buffer_heads
> attached and you've run out of lowmem.  The 2.4 VM will go off looking for
> lowmem pages to reclaim and will ignore the highmem pages because there's
> no highmem shortage.  Consequently those buffer_heads don't get freed up
> and we're unable to reclaim any lowmem -> oom.
>
> Andrea did a patch along time ago (it'll be in suse 2.4 kernels) which,
> under these circumstances, strip the buffers from those highmem pages when
> they're encountered on the LRU.  From a quick read it seems that that patch
> is not in current 2.4 kernels.
>
> It's harder to do that in 2.6 because we have a separate LR per zone.

Our DB2 folks *claims* to have seen this problem both on ia32 and AMD64
customers.  So, I am not sure if its really only highmem related. Only
workaround seems to be configure DB2 to not to use more than 1.5GB on a
8GB RAM system :(

I have nothing much to go on, other than looking data from a sick
machine. What should I be looking at, to narrow down the problem
some more ?

BTW, none of these BIG customers will take a patch to figure out
whats happening (since its on their production system) :(

Thanks,
Badari