On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 15:00 -0800, Frederik Eaton wrote:

> Thanks, you were right that I recently upgraded to 2.6 (actually I
> transferred the hard drive between machines), and with a "mount /home -o
> remount,iocharset=utf8" at least I can access the files now. But the
> names aren't what they should be, for instance I see:
>
> 04-The_Dark_Of_The_MatinÎe.ogg
>
> (that's a theta). Were they supposed to be correct?

Not necessarily.  Even if the character returned is correct utf8, the
terminal (xterm?) displaying the name may be assuming a different
character set.  It's also possible that on the older system,
CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT was not set to the same locale that the system used,
so the character stored in the name was not the right unicode, but it
was accessed consistently on the old system so it worked as long as
nothing changed.

> As an aside, now, I just tried "mount /home -o
> remount,iocharset=iso8859-1", and got same problem

This is no surprise.  iso8859-1 has the same mapping as iocharset=none
(the 2.6 default).  (The "none" keyword is first supported in
2.6.11-rc4-mm1 and 2.4.30-pre2, so you probably won't be able to use
it.)

> ls:
> '/home/shared/frederik/Franz_Ferdinand/Franz_Ferdinand/04-The_Dark_Of_The_Matin?e.ogg':
>  No such file or directory
>
> But when I repeated the "mount /home -o remount,iocharset=utf8"
> command, the listing didn't show the name with a theta character, but
> instead with two question marks:
>
> 04-The_Dark_Of_The_Matin??e.ogg
>
> Strange behavior. I.e., upon changing the mount options and then
> changing them back I get a different listing.

That I wouldn't expect.  I really have no clue why it isn't consistent.

The easiest way to "fix" these files (assuming there aren't too many) is
to mount with iocharset=utf8, rename the files using only ascii
characters, remount again with iocharset=iso8859-1, and rename the files
to their proper names.  After that you should be able to mount without
any iocharset flag and get sane behavior.

--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center