On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 01:03:40PM +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> It shouldn't be literally per-user - it should be possible for a user
> to have several environment _when_ they want that.  chroot-jail style
> virtual server environments require that too.
>
> But that shouldn't be the only option - because it would be horrible
> to use.  If I login on multiple terminals, I normally want to mount
> filesystems in /home/jamie/mnt on one terminal, and use them on another.

And when you log in on several terminals you usually want same $PATH.
You don't do that by sharing VM between shell processes, do you?  Sure,
that would work with sufficient kernel-side hacks for joining thread
group and making e.g. bash multithreaded.  Nobody does it though - it
doesn't buy you anything really useful.

> How can libpam join the user's existing namespace?
>
> Having a separate usermount-namespace for each login of the same user
> would not be nice to use.

I don't see why.  _IF_ you can change the set of mounts after you log in,
there's no more need to do any kernel tricks for that stuff than you would
need for environment, etc.  If you can't - well, the last point where you
can get something set up is login with no changes afterwards.  In that case
everything is just as trivial...