On 4/19/05, Al Viro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 06:53:29PM -0500, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
> > On 4/19/05, Al Viro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> a) ability to create a private namespace without forking anything - sure,
> that would be useful.  However, that's not something I would push into
> mount(2) (already overloaded to hell and back).

That's fair, just though it might be easier to slide in than a new
system call.  Should have known better -- sliding things in is never a
good idea.

> There used to be a kinda-sorta agreement on a new syscall:
>         unshare(bitmap)
> with arguments like those of clone(2).  That's not just for namespaces -
> e.g. you might legitimately want to unshare VM in a thread and leave the
> rest alone.  Or unshare ->fs (i.e. uncouple cwd from the rest of group).
>
> Most of the code is already there - do_fork() has to do such stuff anyway.
> So how about adding sys_unshare(flags) that would do that job?  Flags would
> correspond to those of clone(2), except that all these guys would be
> "what do we unshare" instead of "what do we leave shared".

Okay, I'll try to work something up today and post a straw man here.

> b) I _really_ don't like the idea of messing with the parent.  Make it
> a shell builtin if you want to affect shell behaviour; the same reason
> why cd is a builtin and not an external command.

Yeah, that was really slimy, just wanted something that would be more
accessible to end users without having to affect changes to lots of
applications.  A somewhat less slimy method would be to expose
something in /proc, but I suppose that is a much more theologically
charged option.

> c) I would be really, really careful with implications of "let user
> do whatever he wants" - that certainly should include bindings and
> that can create heaps of fun for suid stuff.  More comments when
> I get around to digging through FUSE thread...

I agree, but I want to understand all the issues and see if we can
work out a solution which gives the user some ability to leverage
mount/bind in private namespaces.  I am trying to get more of a Plan 9
like environment under Linux, but understand the existence of a root
uid will require a lot more restrictions.  See my comments in the
later portions of the FUSE thread on a user-mount-permissions file
that would allow admins to define policies on what and where users
could mount/bind (and with what flags).

       -eric