> For the issues being discussed here, I don't think that's materially
> different from what we started with; it has the same issue concerning
> whether a user should be allowed to change his namespace and whether a
> process' namespace should change automatically when another process does
> something.
>
> Here's one more proposal, kind of a compromise among various previous
> ones.
>
>   - When you mount(), you say whether the names should be visible by
> default or not.  It takes system privilege to make them visible by
> default, but an ordinary user can mount a willing filesystem over a
> directory he's permitted to modify unconditionally, invisible by default

I like the idea of invisible mountpoints.  It doesn't even sound as if
it would be hard to implement, although Al will surely find a million
reasons why it's problematic ;)

>   - A process can explicitly request to see an invisible-by-default
> mounted filesystem.  Anyone can do this, but permissions on the root
> directory of the mount determine if he can actually see anything.

How would you request to make the mountpoint visible from _any_
program.  It's not acceptable to expect every program to include a
menu, command, etc. to be able to modify the visibility of
mountpoints.

Would it not be better if you could specify the visibility policy when
mounting?  Something simple like the user-group-other permission
modell would do nicely.  That would also have the advantage of being
bound to the mountpoint, not the process.

Miklos