Ram wrote:
> > What we really want is a mount point that propagates across all the
> > processes owned by one user, but is not there for other users.
>
> This is almost certainly bogus.  Same user can easily want several
> different environments set on the same box.

Yes of course.

The problem is the current mechanism _forces_ the user to have
different environments on the same box - there's no choice.

Which is, as Al says, just like environment variables.

But not like files - if I create a file called $HOME/foo, I expect
that I can access it from a different login.  I might want to have
different environments, but that's not the _default_ when dealing with
files.

The question is whether private user-mounts should, by default, behave
more like environment variables or more like files.

-- Jamie