On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 05:23:13AM -0700, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 09:04:50AM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> >  - openg/sutoc
> >
> >     No way.  We already have a very nice file descriptor abstraction.
> >     You can pass file descriptors over unix sockets just fine.
>
> Yes, but it behaves like dup().  Gary replied to me off-list (which I
> didn't notice and continued replying to him off-list).  I wrote:
>
> Is this for people who don't know about dup(), or do they need
> independent file offsets?  If the latter, I think an xdup() would be
> preferable (would there be a security issue for OSes with revoke()?)
> Either that, or make the key be useful for something else.

I further wonder if these people would see appreciable gains from doing
sutoc rather than doing openat(dirfd, "basename", flags, mode);

If they did, I could also see openat being extended to allow dirfd to
be a file fd, as long as pathname were NULL or a pointer to NUL.

But with all the readx stuff being proposed, I bet they don't really
need independent file offsets.  That's, like, so *1970*s.