> If it's important to know that two names refer to the same file in a
> remote filesystem, I don't see any way around adding a new concept of file
> identifier to the protocol.

actually there are 2 separate issues at hand, and this thread sort of
confuses them into one:

Statement 1:
If two files have identical st_dev and st_ino, they MUST be hardlinks of
each other/the same file.

Statement 2:
If two "files" are a hardlink of each other, they MUST be detectable
(for example by having the same st_dev/st_ino)

I personally consider statement 1 a mandatory requirement in terms of
quality of implementation if not Posix compliance.

Statement 2 for me is "nice but optional", the use case for it is VERY
different, it's an optimization for a program like tar to not have to
back a file up twice, while statement 1 is there to ensure that
hardlinks CAN be backed up smartly.

Let's please treat these as 2 separate issues, I agree they're somewhat
related, but really they're a different  kind of guarantee and have
entirely different usecases as well.

(oh and I'm very open to hearing about cases where a violation of
statement 2 ends up being an actual problem)

Greetings,
   Arjan van de Ven

--
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via