On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 08:40:42PM -0500, Matt Mackall wrote:
> chunkfs. The other is reverse maps (aka back pointers) for blocks ->
> inodes and inodes -> directories that obviate the need to have large
> amounts of memory to check for collisions.

Yes, I missed the fact that you had back pointers for blocks as well
as inodes.  So the block table in the tile header gets used for
determing if a block is free, much like is done with FAT, right?

That's a clever system; I like it.  It does mean that there is a lot
more metadata updates, but since you're not journaling, that should
counter that effect to some extent.

IMHO, it's definitely worth a try to see how well it works!

                                                - Ted