On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 10:25:16AM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 03:21:30PM -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > Define an nfs setlease method that just returns -EOPNOTSUPP.
> >
> > If someone can demonstrate a real need, perhaps we could reenable
> > them in the presence of the "nolock" mount option.
>
> I'm not a big fan of default methods that do the wrong thing instead
> of just missing functionality.  Would you mind just returning
> -EOPNOTSUPP if ->setlease is not implemented and add it to all
> the local filesystems while all the network/distributed filesystems
> should not have it, not just nfs.

OK, after looking at this a little more, I'm less happy about the idea
of erroring out by default:

        - There are a ton of filesystems that probably should allow
          leases, and only a few (network filesystems) that shouldn't,
          so leaving leases on by default seems simpler.
        - We already fall back on the local method by default in the case
          of locks, and I don't see a reason to treat leases differently.
        - The patch to add
                .setlease = setlease,
          to all the file_operations is going to be a big patch that
          changes behavior in a way that might be easy to miss (because
          it changes behavior exactly on those filesystems it *doesn't*
          touch.)  I think it'll be easier to get better review on the
          patch that adds a method just to those filesystems that we're
          disabling leases for.

I agree about dealing with the other network filesystems, though, and
not just NFS and GFS2; I'll look into that.

--b.