On 11/14/07, Chuck Lever <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2007, at 7:04 PM, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > Is it feasible to do something like this in the linux file system
> > architecture?
> >
> > Beagle beats on my disk for an hour when I reboot. Of course I don't
> > like that and I shut Beagle off.
>
> Leopard, by the way, does exactly this: it has a daemon that starts
> at boot time and taps FSEvents then journals file system changes to a
> well-known file on local disk.

Logging file systems have all of the needed info. Plus they know what
is going on with rollback/replay after a crash. How about a fs API
where Beagle has a token for a checkpoint, and then it can ask for a
recreation of inotify events from that point forward.  It's always
possible for the file system to say I can't do that and trigger a full
rebuild from Beagle. Daemons that aren't coordinated with the file
system have a window during crash/reboot where they can get confused.

Without low level support like this Beagle is forced to do a rescan on
every boot. Since I crash my machine all of the time the disk load
from rebooting is intolerable and I turn Beagle off. Even just turning
the machine on in the morning generates an annoyingly large load on
the disk.

--
Jon Smirl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]