On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 01:35:50PM -0700, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> > Why can't the filesystem call into generic_setlease() on its own?
>
> Because (assuming we're rid of the BKL), fcntl_setlease() needs to
> acquire the spinlock and hold it while generic_setlease() runs, so
> generic_setlease() can't acquire the lock.

So, the problem is that fcntl_setlease() does

        vfs_setlease()
        fasync_helper()

which the bkl held over both, and you want to preserve that?

But what that BKL is doing is a mystery to me--the very first thing that
fasync_helper() does is kmem_cache_alloc(., GFP_KERNEL).  So you won't
be introducing any new problem if you lock those two operations
separately.  Unless I'm totally missing something.

--b.