Hi,

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999 15:46:18 -0500 (EST), Alexander Viro
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>       Folks, could somebody recall why the check for I_DIRTY had been
> added to iput()? AFAICS it does nothing. If the inode is hashed and clean
> it's already on inode_in_use, otherwise we are in *big* trouble (the only
> reason for that might be crazy ->delete_inode() doing
> insert_inode_hash().

To maintain an LRU ordering for recently released inodes, I imagine.
However, right now there's nothing I can see in inode.c which actually
relies on that ordering: whenever we do a free_inodes(), we dump all
the inodes that we can.  In the future, having a sane LRU ordering on
the in-use list may be valuable.

--Stephen