From: Alexander Viro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        There's actually one more TODO point. And pretty serious one, at it.
        We got a severely cluttered namespace under /proc (little gems a-la
        /proc/h8 and friends). It's a Bad Thing (tm) for a lot of obvious reasons.
        We can move to something saner if
                a) we'll agree on a naming policy
                b) add a PROC_COMPAT option that would just create a bunch of
        static symlinks from old to new locations.
                c) for unimportant (== used by a couple of driver-related
        utilities) things - remove the links when the utilities will be updated
                d) for important stuff - gather the links into proc_compat.o and
        make it a module. And ask everybody to use the new locations, so that
        folks who are not stuck with old binaries might completely get rid of the
        clutter.

                (a) is obviously the trickiest ;-/

I think starting a PROC_COMPAT option would be a rather bad idea.
In a development series it is permissible to change things,
and in a new stable release one may require people to upgrade
utilities. Having PROC_COMPAT only complicates things - it will
cause problems instead of solving them.

But it may be premature to worry about PROC_COMPAT.
Let us first design the new interface, then how to go from
old to new can be discussed later.

Andries