On 10 Nov 1999, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Rik van Riel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I know this could involve an extra copy of the page for
> > writing, but it fits in really well with the transactioning
> > scheme and could, with the proper API, give us a way to
> > implement a high-performance transactioning interface for
> > userspace.
>
> The user space side of this idea seems completely silly.
> Plus user space has more issues to contend with.

Yes, absolutely.

The main idea of my COW snapshotting was to facilitate
journalled writeout of shared mappings (that are dirtied
behind our backs spontaneously). The transactioning from
userspace was only a side issue that popped into my mind
for 5 seconds :)

Rik
of people. That is its real strength.