On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, David Bialac wrote:

> For fun (and because I think it might be a useful feature), I'm working
> on a filesystem that allows a website to be mounted as a local
> filesystem.  I'm starting to dive in, and successfully have the kernel
> recognizing that webfs exists, so it's now time to write some socket
> code.  Amongst the thing I want to put into this system is caching of
> server data locally, specifically on the local filesystem.  The
> question I have is, can one filesystem ask to write to another?  I
> don't see anythinng in there that seems to attempt to do this, so I
> need to be sure said is possible.

It's called CODA and it already exists. No need to reinvent the wheel
1001st time.

> Why this is not as stupid as it sounds:  Imagine the internet-enabled
> appliance scenario: today, if say a DVD manufacturer has a glitch in
> their DVD player, the only fix is to take it in for repair.  If the
> device was internet-enabled, and further read its software off the web,
> it could conceivably update software on the fly without the inconvience
> of the user going without his player.  Nother scenario: you could save

<politely> You've seen how many Linux-based DVD players? And if you've
seen such a beast, what changes from putting the thing into the kernel
instead of using wget(1)? </politely> IOW, _that_ rationale is pure
hogwash.

> your files to a website run anywhere, then download them anywhere.

It's spelled 'FTP'. And it doesn't need to be in the kernel either.
Had been used for that purpose since 70s.

--
What next, JabbaScript in the kernel? I don't think so.