What's the current limit for ext2 filesystems, and what happens if a users
creates a larger disk? I think we should document the current limits, and
refuse to mount larger disks. I guess the current limit is somewhere around
1000 GB (512*INT_MAX)?

I'm posting this question because I've already seen a message that someone
uses a 500 GB ext2 fs, and because (IIRC) certain versions of the Norton
Commander silently corrupted disks > 2GB on the Macintosh when Apple removed
the 2 GB limit a few years ago.
The Linux filesystems/utilities [kernel, fsck,...] should avoid similar
problems.

--
    Manfred