On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> That shoudn't matter.  In the new VM it would be pretty trivial for the
> filesystem to reserve a separate address_space against which to cache
> fragment blocks.  Populating that address_space when we want to read a
> fragment block doesn't have to be any more complex than populating the
> page cache already is.  IO itself shouldn't be hard.

Correct, but that's going to make design much more complex - you really
don't want to do it for anything other than sub-page stuff (probably even
sub-sector). Which leads to 3 levels - allocation block/IO block/sub-sector
fragment. Not to mention the fact that for cases when you have 1K
fragments and really large blocks you don't want all this mess around...
It's doable, indeed, but...