On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 04:37:46AM -0400, Alexander Viro wrote:
> devfs_unlink() does - especially in free_dentries(). Or you can get
> your kicks looking at the crap (sorry, Petr, but it _is_ crap - populating
> dcache really shouldn't be done by readdir()) in ncp_readdir().
Hi Alexander,
  is implementation wrong or whole idea (some race? Do not forget that it
is network filesystem, so only troubles which cannot happen due to other
machines count)? Netware does not have hardlinks (without BIG effort) and
reading directory from server offer all data needed for constructing inode.
By creating real dentries/inodes during readdir (and caching them for some
time period) some operations are now twice as fast as before - for example
unlinking directories.
>                                               Al, BKernelJanitorFH
                                        Petr Vandrovec
                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

P.S.: Original idea was to cache only readdir data from server, but it
could consume twice as much memory - once in pagecache and second time
when real dentries/inodes get created. And ncp_lookup was forced to search
pagecache before doing server lookup... So populating dentry tree from
readdir looked perfect to me. It is not?