Hi,

> > I ask that in the context of the fs specific functions of
> > read_page/write_page/prepare_write, that simply call a generic function
> > adding a pointer to the get_block function. If the get_block
> > functionality would be integrated into address_space_operations, lots of
> > these indirect calls could be removed. It's also make more sense this
> > way.
>
> No, it would not. There are two kinds of get_block() (normal semantics and
> no-holes one) and they just happen to share the same prototype. And there
> is a bunch of cases when operation simply does not make any sense.

Can't they be joined or what am I missing here? For all fs (bound to
block devices) and for block devices themselves address_space offers an
unique way to access them, all what is needed is a function to map an
address space offset into a block device offset and it's already done
that way, only that this single important function isn't exported.
On the other hand all other (nodev) fs have to implement the other
functions themselves and don't support the current bmap function anyway.

bye, Roman