[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> David Woodhouse wrote:
> > Can we now remove sleep_on() completely, or at least apply something
> > like the following:

> >     if (current->lock_depth == -1) BUG();

> That won't work.

> 1) lock_depth is only updated on SMP.

But it would still highlight the problem on SMP builds. It only needs to be
fixed once. Consider it a similar hack to slab poisoning or spinlock
debugging.

> 2) the global cli spinlock is the second valid lock for sleep_on() users.

Personally, I don't mind if we break a few valid uses to make sure we
flush all the broken ones. And the operative word there is 'few'.

> And sleep_on a very good litmus test for SMP awareness: grep for
> sleep_on, and if you find it it's a good sign that the driver is not
> SMP aware ;)

hehe true. Let's just remove it altogether then.

--
dwmw2