Jeremy writes:
> For some reason I can't get ext3 on my root filesystem (I've been
> successful before so I think I'm doing it right).
>
> Basically what happens is I get a panic because it cannot create the
> journal.  It claims that it has tried to access beyond the end of the
> device.  Here's the output:
>
> Ext3-fs: error(device ramdisk(1,0)): ext3_get_inode_loc: bad inode
> number: 1133
> Journal length (0 blocks) too short.
> Ext3-fs: error creating journal.
> attempt to access beyond end of device.
> 01:00: rw=1, want=2147483644, limit=4096 dev 01:00 blksize=1024 blocknr=-5
> sector=-10 size=1024 count=1
>
> From the looks of it, it seems I passed the wrong inode number, but I
> double checked many times and I have the right number.

It does indeed look like the wrong inode is being used.  However, I suspect
that one of the reasons this is a problem is because you are trying to
set up a journal on a ramdisk?  I doubt this is at all useful because the
journal on the ramdisk is deleted when the system shuts down.

Probably what you want is to have the journal for the root partition.  You
only need to give the "journal=<inode>" option the _first_ time that the
filesystem is mounted as ext3.  If you are booting from ramdisk, you could
add an option (maybe /etc/fstab?) so that the root filesystem has the
correct journal option, rather than putting it in /etc/lilo.conf.  Otherwise,
you could try booting without the ramdisk (if this is possible on your
system), or create a boot floppy with ext3 support and simply mount the
root filesystem once manually.

Cheers, Andreas