Many LSB init scripts implement a 'reload' action which permits them to reread their configurations without interrupting service.

By design, OCF spec is upwards-compatible with the LSB.

I think it would be good to specifically add the reload operation to the OCF spec.

Saying something like this:
The reload operation is an optional operation which can be supported by OCF resource agents. This operation will cause the resource to examine its parameters and its configuration files, and continue running these new configuration values, without interrupting service in a way which is visible to resources which depend on it.

If an OCF resource agent wishes to support the reload operation, it is required to list it in the <operations> section of the metadata given by the meta-data operation.

Even though a resource supports a reload operation, a conforming cluster manager need not make use of it. Of course, if it does, then service updates can be made with fewer service interruptions, so this is likely to be seen as a desirable feature.

And as to whether there are resource agents which could make use of this feature - the answer is yes. I have a customer who would like such a capability today. At the moment, they go far out of their way to work around not having it.

As written, this is optional for both resource agents and cluster managers, and it seems like a reasonable addition to the OCF spec.

My guess is that this would be an easy addition for many cluster managers to support. Of course, nothing is impossible to he who doesn't have to do it.

--
    Alan Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship... Let me claim from you at all times your undisguised opinions." - William Wilberforce