On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Alan Robertson wrote:

> CVS is not a really wonderful source control system.
>
> It is our plan to convert to Mercurial some time in the reasonably near
> future.  Reviews of it have been mostly very good.
>
> We will still be able to have a source control mailing list, and a web
> interface.  From what I can see both will be nicer than at present.
>
> But, it will mean people grabbing versions of the code will need to have
> a copy of Mercurial.

(Just back from two-week holiday, so playing catch-up...)

Agreed that CVS has been been improved upon by other offerings.

But any reason for choosing mercurial, rather than subversion (svn) as the
next-generation source control management system?  (GNU seem to use SVN;
samba has recently switched to SVN; etc.)  What are the pros/cons of
mercurial vs. svn?

(I know almost nothing of either!  But for us Linux-HA maintainers, this
change could be high-impact, so it seems worth checking that we are
jumping in the best direction...)

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :