David Lee wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Alan Robertson wrote:
>
>> Contrary to the implication given in this thread -- IPaddr and IPaddr2
>> do NOT do the same thing.
>
> Oh.  Their write-ups, describing their user-interface (as if "black box")
>    http://www.linux-ha.org/HeartbeatResourceAgent/IPaddr
>    http://www.linux-ha.org/HeartbeatResourceAgent/IPaddr2
>
> look very similar.  (A clause at the end in "Special Note" contrasts the
> number of interfaces, but apart from they look almost the same.)
>
> Shifting from the external "black box" viewpoint to the internal "under
> the bonnet (US hood!)" viewpoint:  Their internal implementations might be
> very different.  (I haven't looked in detail, but I see that the "...2"
> variant contains some bash-isms and doesn't run under true Bourne-shell ).
>
> The question is:  Why do we need to offer two different things to the
> end-user?  I (we?)  had been working on the assumption that IPaddr2 was a
> variant of IPaddr (same external "black-box" end-user interface) that was,
> as a matter of internal detail, better suited to Linux (and also allowed
> more interfaces).
>
> Alan: Could you briefly describe, please, the differences between the two
> things:
>  (1) differences that are external black-box view (e.g. as documented in
> those URLs);
>  (2) internal differences (e.g. allowing more interfaces).
>
> It still feels that we ought to be able to keep things to a simple, single
> end-user (black-box) interface that, in internal construction, could take
> best advantage of the particular OS/environment (including offering as
> many interfaces as necessary).

If you use IPaddr, then you typically get an interface for the address
that looks something like eth0:0.

If you use IPaddr2, then you get NO named interface - at least by
default.  And, it runs faster as a result.

So, with IPaddr, if you do ifconfig afterwards, the interface for the IP
address shows up.  With IPaddr2, ifconfig will claim that no such
address is managed.

Lars and company know this.  They just ignore it - presumably because
they think it unimportant.

--
    Alan Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Wilberforce