David Lee wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
>
>> On 2007-10-18T13:07:45, Andrew Beekhof <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Quick question, does anyone know if the pkg and port directories need
>>> to live in their current location?
>>>
>>> If not, I'm considering moving them to contrib/build/(pkg|port) where
>>> they'd also be joined by the openBSD port-build-file-thingies.
>> I think that ought to be fine; we might want to create a packaging/
>> top-directory though, and move the debian, rpm stuff there as well.
>>
>>> Also can someone refresh my memory as to which system each targets?
>>> pkg ::= solaris
>>> port ::= freebsd
>> Yeah, that's what I recall too.
>
> Yes, "pkg" is used by Solaris (and anything else that might want to jump
> on that bandwagon).
>
> I can't see any objection to migrating the "pkg" directory down into a
> subdirectory related to OS-related building.  Indeed, such a tidy-up of
> the top-level, by migrating all such OS/building items (such as "port",
> "pkg", "debian", rpm="heartbeat.spec"), seems good.
>
> So "+1" for a migration of these things into a subdirectory.
>

> Are we voting between potential names "packaging/" and "contrib/build/"?
> I would vote for "packaging/".  This is stuff that we (to a first
> approximation: developers with Hg commit access) try to support, as
> distinct from "contrib/", which would be stuff (which might include a
> packaging mechanism) provided by others for which we ourselves would not
> offer support.
>
> So a gentle "+1" in favour of "packaging/" rather than "contrib/.../" for
> the existing cases.

All of these are maintained by long-time contributors.  For example,
Horms has been on the project longer than anyone but me (yes, even
longer than Lars).  David and Matt are close behind Horms in terms of
project longevity - and all of them have done a very creditable job of
keeping up with their respective platforms.

I too would vote for packaging rather than "contrib".  Unfortunately, I
believe that the RPM spec file needs to be in the top level directory of
the project :-( (correct me if I'm wrong).

--
    Alan Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Wilberforce