Hi all,

the Linux-HA project is undergoing some changes, as you've noticed. Not
all of them have gone as well as expected, and it hasn't stabilized
yet.

Under guidance with Alan, the project members have met and decided to
change the governance of the project in the future. This will be
announced in more detail soon, stay tuned.

We also want to likely make some further changing to the package layout,
and understand that users, admins and distro maintainers dislike it when
we do that, so we don't want to make it a habit.

We recognize the needs of our users (I hope!) to receive timely updates,
and thus have decided to go ahead and propose releasing one more 2.1.4
(following the 2.1.x package layout) as the last release of that branch
before the restructuring kicks in completely.

(When we decided to split off pacemaker, we didn't expect that this
would cause the upstream Linux-HA project to cease releasing
completely, and unfortunately there's been little discussion on the
lists regarding this since.)

For SLE10 SP2, it was already too late to change the package layout, so
I've been backporting changes (which is quite easy with Mercurial) from
the Pacemaker project, the GUI, and heartbeat-dev into the 2.1.x
codebase, and done a fair amount of testing on x86, x86-64, s390x.

However, I've been mostly focused on cherry picking what we (as in,
Novell) needed, so in particular the packaging for non-SUSE dists is
somewhat neglected in this version.

If other distro maintainers would please help me with fixing up the
packaging, and more community members would pound on it, I would really
appreciate this.

My proposal would be to release 2.1.4 by the end of next week
(2008-04-18). (Mostly because after that I go on vacation ;-)

I know this is a highly condensed schedule and doesn't follow any
"proper" release methodology. The reasons for this in bullet points:

- It's been too long since the last "official" gasp from the heartbeat
  project. The code we have is clearly better than 2.1.3, and we should
  get it to our users ASAP.

- Novell has done a fair amount of testing on it already. The code is
  good (as in "much better than 2.1.3"), except the packaging.

- The new governance will eventually decide on a new release methodology
  for the Linux-HA project, I expect, but this will take some more
  weeks, and I don't want to delay releasing even further.

So, with the above reasoning, I'm volunteering myself - and hijacking
the vacuum, I acknowledge - to do the 2.1.4 release, as the current
split hasn't been adopted everywhere yet, 2.1.x is defunc, and our user
community appears to need it "now" and not in several months.

I'd plan on building the packages for all dists via OBS, if nobody holds
any strong objections and update the DownloadSoftware page after we
agree that the 2.1.4 release is good.

And of course would be much approving of distro maintainers pulling it
into their official distro repositories too!

So, that said, I've pushed my proposed code to
http://hg.linux-ha.org/lha-2.1/. It, for reasons outlined above, likely
doesn't build yet (because the in-tree packaging is broken), but I
wanted to share the scope of changes with you.

As a further point of reference, I'm attaching the SLES changes section
to this mail. (bnc# refers to bugzilla.novell.com.)

Let me emphasize strongly that I really don't want to step on anyone's
toes, or rush the new governance board, but only fill the current void
until that is actually operational and has settled down, as I suggest
our users need it.

Please comment.

Regards,
    Lars

--
Team lead Kernel, SuSE Labs, Research and Development

Mon Apr  7 16:55:47 CEST 2008 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

- Exclude crm_sh from packaging (bnc#371037)
- crmd: Connecting to the crmd immediately after startup causes
  use-of-NULL (bnc#369380)
- crmd: Delay starting the IPC server until we're fully functional
  (bnc#369380)
- crmd: Handle unmanaged resources on shutdown (LF#1837)
- cib: Ensure that the CIB is written to disk in all cases.
- pengine: improved anonymous clone, group handling, improved
  master/slave handling (LF#1777, LF#1822, LF#1820, PM#7, PM#12,
  bnc#371783, PM#1, bnc#34700, 4LF#1648, PM#11, LF#1860, LF#1859)
- pengine: Handle STONITH on start-up properly (LF#1768)
- cibadmin: require -f on potentially dangerous commands.
- CLI: Handle stdout/stderr consistently (bnc#369914)
- lrmd: fix a memory leak in raexechb.c (LF#1841)
- lrmd/crmd: improve status propagation (LF#1830)
- RA: Xen: Many fixes (LF#1830, LF#1856, LF#1858, bnc#369724)
- RA: ids: allow meta-data and usage under all circumstances
- RA: Update SAPDatabase to 1.91
- RA: Update SAPInstance to 1.91
- haclient: Fill all sub-resources into the list of combobox for
  selecting
- mgmt: Several improvements and fixes.
- hb_report: Many improvements and collecting more relevant information.

Mon Mar  3 17:23:20 CET 2008 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

- Fix end-of-month time calculation in leap years (LF#1849)
- mgmt: Resolve the issue caused by inconsistent names between DTD and
  RA.
- mgmt: Rewrite "instance_attributes", "operations" and "expression"
  based on the new model.

Thu Feb 28 17:00:53 CET 2008 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

- Fix blank definition of HA_HBCONF_DIR corrupts heartbeat (bnc#364816)
- OCF RAs: Make which quiet if it doesn't find the binary.
- IPaddr RA: fix parsing loopback interface for lvs support.
- mysql RA: Minor bug fixes.
- PostgreSQL RA: fix status/monitor function.
- Correct stonith.8 man page, add examples (LTC#32445)

Mon Feb 18 17:00:00 CET 2008 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

- Update SAPInstance and SAPDatabase resource agents (bnc#359207)
- Fix metadata of some RAs to be DTD compliant (bnc#359907)

Mon Feb  4 20:55:01 CET 2008 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

- Add pyxml dependency (bnc#358625)

Mon Feb  4 14:11:56 CET 2008 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

- mgmt: Return the actual value returned from cib_conn (bnc#356170)
- CIB: Ensure changes to top-level attributes (like admin_epoch) cause a
  disk write
- stonith ipmilan: add an optional parameter to specify the reset method

Fri Jan 25 14:03:01 CET 2008 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

- Add openHPI dependency to build HPI STONITH module (FATE 302711).
- Fix IPMI STONITH (356219).
- Fix hb_gui PAM definition (356169).

Fri Jan 18 13:48:57 CET 2008 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

- Update for SLE10 SP2:
- Update to version 2.1.3 from upstream (FATE 302677).
- Resource Agent for iSCSI initiator added (FATE 301250).
- Added hooks to SAP Resource Agents (FATE 302165, bugzilla 263195).
- GUI enhancements by Yan Gao.
- Backported a few Policy Engine fixes.