Hi Keisuke-san,

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 05:33:52PM +0900, Keisuke MORI wrote:
> Dejan,
>
> Thank you for taking care of it.
>
> Yes, NTT is very glad and agrees to include sfex into the
> heartbeat repository!
>
> Dejan Muhamedagic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Since last year NTT designed and implemented sfex, a suite of
> > programs to improve shared disk usage (see linux-ha.org/sfex)
> > which unfortunately didn't attract attention it deserves. I
> > reviewed the code and attached you'll find some comments and some
> > simple changes. One general remark: all programs (sfex_*) are
> > monolithic and, though they are not that big, it would be
> > beneficial to code readers if they were split into more
> > units/functions.
>
> That sounds reasonable.
> Where can I find your comments and modifications?

A reasonable question :)  Forgot to attach the file with
comments. Sorry about that. It is in the form of a patch against
version 1.3.

> > A couple of suggestions on making sfex useful in other contexts
> > were making a quorum plugin and a HBcomm plugin. Did you
> > investigate further these options?
>

> Yes we did but we think that
> those would be totally different approach from sfex.
>

>  - a quorum plugin
>
>    A quorum plugin is executed only on 'the cluster leader node' in CCM,

I don't think so. CCM delivers connectivity and quorum
information on each node. However, that's probably not relevant.

>    and it does not care where the resource is running on,
>    whereas sfex should run on the same node which the resource
>    in question is running on because it's for the protection of
>    the data which resides in the resource.
>
>    In other words, sfex is to control with resource granularity,
>    whereas a quorum plugin is to control 'the partition' granularity.

Right. The point was however to use parts of sfex for the quorum
functionality. I'll see if I can get back to you with a more
detailed and specific proposal.

>  - HBcomm plugin
>
>    I remember that somebody posted this before, called 'dskcm'.

Somehow missed that one.

>    This is also interesting idea but the approach is very different.
>
>    This approach is:
>     - having yet another redundant communication path through
>       the shared medium.
>    whereas sfex's approach is:
>     - provide a protection method when ALL of the communication
>       paths are failed.
>
>    Even though they have the similar goal the functionality is
>    very different.

Yes. Though again sfex would need to be twisted a bit to provide
heartbeats over shared storage. I'll take a look at dskcm.

Cheers,

Dejan