On 2010-01-14 14:11, Tim Serong wrote:
> My lovely usage instructions in the
> RA metadata all get squished onto one illegible long line when
> the manpage is generated - any ideas on how I can force some
> vaguley sane formatting here?  Thanks -- Tim

Hmm. Well we can use XSL whitespace preservation, but it won't affect
newlines. The only thing that I can currently think of is to inject
something like </para><para> in the generated intermediate DocBook XML
whenever we encounter a newline in a description metadata field. Which
is ugly.

The other option, which is even uglier, is to allow DocBook elements
inside the metadata.

But, keep in mind that it's not just the man page that uses longdesc,
but also the GUI. And your longdesc probably makes for a pretty big
popup. :)

My takeaway from this is that longdesc should really just be a "long
description" of the RAs functionality, not full prose documentation
detailing each and every aspect of the RA. Instead, you should probably
document this on a page in the new Mediawiki website, and ultimately
when we get proper docs for the RA, move that content there. Sounds like
a plan?

Cheers,
Florian