Hi all.

I'm investigating an HA environment with a simple active/standby
configuration, just two nodes in a cluster with DRBD to provide a shared
partition (using standard Red Hat EL 6.2 packages, such as heartbeat
2.1.2 and DRBD 8.4).

These servers have multiple network interfaces: an internal private
network, over which DRBD, heartbeat, etc. are run, and also a separate
set of interfaces to provide "customer" access.  The internal interfaces
have static IP addresses and unchanging hostnames.  The external
interfaces do NOT: those interfaces are owned by the "customer", not by
the cluster.  They might use DHCP to get IP addresses, and it's
important that the hostnames of the systems, when the customer runs
"uname" etc., be _their_ hostname and not the internal hostname of the
cluster.  Users of the system must be free to change these values.

I'm frustrated trying to get this to work robustly with heartbeat.
Explaining why the entire system must be brought down and restarted
merely to change the hostname is somewhat embarrassing as well.  If I
could get heartbeat to use my internal, forever-constant names rather
than the results of "uname -n" my system would work so much more
smoothly and reliably, provide more uptime, and require a lot less
effort from me.  Because this is a working environment, moving to
completely different technology like corosync is not really feasible.

I found a thread from 2004 discussing the (then?) undocumented support
for the "/etc/ha.d/nodeinfo" file with heartbeat.  This seems like the
obviously correct solution.  I can't find any information on this
subject more current than that thread, though.  Is this feature still
available/supported?  Does it work with DRBD as well?  Is it something I
can rely on going forward, insofar as heartbeat is still supported?

I must confess myself somewhat taken aback to read in that 2004 thread a
robust defense of the idea that "uname -n" would be the sole true
infallible identifier for a node.  Hostnames may be relied upon to be
unique _at any given moment_, yes, but they are a very far ways from
being _constants_.  They do change.  While it's useful for status
output, logs, etc. to utilize hostnames as user-readable identifiers, a
design using an internal (constant) identifier for nodes in the cluster
seems to me to be far more reliable and straightforward to manage.  I'm
no HA guru however; is there a technical reason why this is difficult or
sub-optimal?