On Tuesday 27 March 2007 13:11, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 10:17:22AM +0200, Andrew Beekhof wrote:

> > >Thanks-I wondered if that's what was happening.
> > >
> > >Am I going to need to get STONITH configured for this?  We're not
> > >doing any kind of resource sharing on realservers, so I'd like to
> > >avoid the complexity there.   We're looking for something similar to
> > >what Daniel Bray has mentioned in his recent mail to the list, but
> > >ideally I'd like to avoid the added complexity of having to maintain
> > >cib.xml.
> >
> > maintain?
> > sure its a bit more complex to set up but what do you mean by maintain?
>
> as a matter of fact, you'll be so much better off with the crm
> based cluster (v2) when it comes to maintenance. v1 is definitely
> easier to start with, but once you get the v2 going you'll find it
> more enjoyable for administration.
I agree with you from the point of view of a cluster system
designer/tester but I disagree from the point of view of a
customer (the person who bought the cluster).

Lets see what operations a normal sysadmin had to do with heartbeat v1
and compare it to v2:

heartbeat v1:
* start/stop heartbeat
* make a node standby --> forced switchover to the other node

All those commands are available to v2 BUT the currently used XML
environment is not ... customer friendly (the one who does not know
much about cluster etc.). You have to explain:
* what resources are and what state they can have
* how he can retrieve the state
* how he can see where the resource is running
* when does a resource change its state
* what fail-counts are, and what effect they have on the system
* the tool set to control the cluster
* certain errors even dont show up (like a stop-restart failure) and you
need geek-commands like ptest to find them

The UI interface is sometimes not an option because:
- the cluster runs on linux without installed X
- there are no linux cients which could communicate with the cluster
- the client has options which should not be visible to the customer (like
removing/change resource or resource parameters)

Just my 2 cents - i have a hard time to explain all those commands
(crm_mon, crm_resource, cibadmin, ptest) to our customer.

kind regards,
Max