Hm. I don't think it's hardware related.

My setup is like this: I use DRBD to sync a partition between master and backup. This drbd device is exported via iscsi-target. DRBD is managed by heartbeat, iscsi-target is started by heartbeat, when heartbeat is in master situation, stopped when in backup situation.

haresources:
machine1 10.2.50.46 drbddisk::drbd1 iscsi-target

Both machines have an internal and an external interface. The external interface for iscsi, the internal for drbd traffic.

I see checksum errors on the external interface for iscsi traffic and heartbeats. I see checksum errors on the internal interface for drbd traffic and heartbeats.

ssh traffic runs with no checksum error at all on all interfaces from and to any machine on that network.

To make it more complicated, I tried mysql traffic, which also produces checksum errors!?

I also replaced the switch, which did not change anything.

Any recommendation? I'm pretty much stuck.

Regards
Dominik

Dominik Klein schrieb:
That's an awful lot of bad packets, it seems to me.

My best guess is that it's a hardware problem.

Having a look at all packets on the interface, I actually see these errors not only for the heartbeat packets, but also for other (TCP and UDP) packets. Plus, I also see them on another device (which is on a different PCI card).

The machine has 2 NICs, on goes directly to the backup node (synching drbd disks), the other one is for client connections. Both NICs show these checksum errors.

In theory it could also be a poor quality crossover cable.  Gigabit
needs cat5E or preferably cat6.

I changed both the crossover and the cable to the switch. Neither changed anything.

So I'll have a look for another NIC and see if it's "just" the NIC or something worse.