On 2007-05-16T19:22:22, Max Hofer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What most customer want (and can handle) is:
> * a development version where new functionality is going in
> * a current stable release

Sure.

> Bugs found in the development release which are apparently also
> in the current stable release and considered as critical, should be
> backported to the stable release (---> this leads to bug-fix releases).
>
> This kind of organization implies the need of a person who decides:
> a) what is considered as critical bug

Yes, a bugzilla policy has been suggested several times in the past, but
I've given up on that.

> b) is it possible to backport the bug-fix to the stable release
> (with possible i mean in terms of effort and how complicate
> the backport is - if it is too big there is the risk of introducing
> new bugs with the bug-fix)
> c) when is a bug-fix version released

Andrew, Alan and I have had discussions on this; there's a proposal to
do this, but right now, we're doing a feature release, as the bugfixes
are too large to backport.

Alan as the release manager for that one (or that's how I understood the
discussion) - which likely will be called 2.1.0 - is alas quite badly
swamped with other work right now, and we don't quite know when that
official release will come out.

Does that help?

> Currently i have the impression no one organizes this kind of
> releases management.

I'm afraid that's partially correct.

> It really does not matter if you define a bug-fix release
> 2.0.8-1, 2.0.8-2 etc. or if you do it like 2.0.9, 2.0.10, etc.
> The important is to define a schema and stick to it.

Yes, setting a policy & processes and then following them through until
revised would be wonderful.

> Since the latest official release is 2.0.8 i would like to see
> bugfixe against this release and not a changeset against a
> development branch.

Too big a change delta I'm afraid :-(

Sincerely,
    Lars