Hi,

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 01:33:20PM -0600, David Hostetler wrote:
> I am looking to provide some failover for my machines, however in order
> for everything to work correctly the hostname has to be the same on both
> machines.  This is built into our software and cannot be changed without
> some considerable cost.  My question is this:
>
> I'm going to have two machines clustered together via a crossover cable,
> can I identify them only by their IP?  Will HA fail if the hostnames are
> the same?

That's probably a no go, i.e. heartbeat needs different
hostnames.

Perhaps you could put your services in a chroot environment and
set the hostname there dymanically before the service starts.
Maybe you could even try to full heartbeat by setting the
hostname after the heartbeat started, but I'm really not sure if
that's going to work.

Thanks,

Dejan

> Any help is appreciated.