On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, 14:06:53 +0100, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> [...]
> One thing I like about .deb is that you can recommend other packages
> to install.
> This would have alerted to you that something was missing - alas there
> is no such mechanism for rpm.

Hmm, isn't this what the "Recommends:" and "Suggests:" directives are
for? From <http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service_Tutorial>:

  Recommends RPM example: if available and all dependencies of this
                          package are fulfilled, the package would
                          be installed. If the package is not available,
                          there are not error messages. If the package
                          dependencies are not met, the package would
                          be visible but not installed.

  Suggests RPM example:   would be shown in the pattern but not installed
                          per default.

I agree it may not be exactly the same as what .deb offers, but there's
at least a way to provide this information.

HTH, cheers.

l8er
manfred