Hi, Dejan

It seems that I have same hardware with you, some HP Proliant DL145 with Qlogic BMC which (claims to) support IPMI 1.5

I tried the IPMI power cycle function and my server didn't got any response, I think there may be something wrong between the ACPI interface and server BMC, which caused OS didn't know about a soft reset happened.

As for STONITH use, I think you should always use power reset, like the stonith script external/ipmi, power reset can do a quick and "real" reset to the server hardware and not depend on OS behavior, that's what we need for stonith to do.

Recently I build a 4-node HA cluster for my cite's LVS with pingd and stonith supported. I use Debian's Heartbeat 2.1.3 package with a little modify, and I found some issue about IPMI:

1. stonith2/ipmilan cannot work, a segmentation fault throw from OpenIPMI library. 2. external/ipmi cannot work, because ipmitool power reset sometimes successfully reset my server but didn't exit with 0, and I have to modify the script to let it exit 0 when calling with reset ...

Regards,

Chun TIAN (binghe)

在 2008-1-23,下午11:40, Dejan Muhamedagic 写道:

Hello,

Again on the IPMI.

As it says in the subject, there are two ways to reset a host
using an IPMI device. The external ipmi stonith plugin uses hard
reset and the ipmilan stonith device which is just back goes with
the power cycle.

Testing ipmilan with the Qlogic BMC device, which claims to
support IPMI v1.5, revealed that the power cycle request has no
effect on the host. My guess is that this has been disabled
somewhere (BIOS perhaps), but I don't have access to the box to
verify that. The hard reset worked. The latter, however, is
probably (?) not very easy on the hardware.

So, which reset method should be used?

I searched various documents but can't find definite answers and
my experience with this kind of device is limited. I only found
that The IPMI specification says that the Hard reset is optional.

Comments, please.

Thanks,

Dejan