ISC Bind can easily do multiple DNS servers, with shared databases
betwixt them.

DNS is very easy to replicate... why not have more than one?

Rubin

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 19:34 +0000, James Ellis wrote:
> I am trying to design a High Availability website.  This is what I am
> thinking for architecture:
>
> Apache Web Server - One server used for load balancing.  A second slave
> server (inactive) as a failover and Linux HA (Heartbeat) to trigger the
> failover.
> Cluster of Tomcat Servers - Failover handled by cluster.
> MySQL Cluster -  Failover handled by cluster.
>
> Two questions:
> 1) Is the above architecture "standard"?
> 2) Isn't the DNS server still a single point of failure?  A request comes in
> for http://www.foo.com which is translated by a DNS server as 192.168.1.1
> which maps to the Apache server.  So if the DNS server fails...how would the
> Apache server ever get the request?
> Your thoughts/help are appreciated.

Rubin Bennett
rbTechnologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://thatitguy.com
(802)223-4448

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
        -Ben Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759