On 2008-04-05T12:22:39, Brian Reichert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That is sound advice, but CentOS's spec file is the same as the
> heartbeat project's spec file.  Were I to report to CentOS, any
> patch developed would be pushed upstream to the HA project, or so
> I would hope.
>
> The RPMs shown to me by Andrew Beekhof at opensuse.org were locally
> modified; patches were not pushed upstream.

You're right, we'll need to clarify and clean that up a little still.

The specfile included with Linux-HA.org's tarball and the one used by
the build service are different for mostly historical reasons - a while
ago, the "upstream" specfile was only generated as part of the build,
which was incompatible with a specfile-driven build (such as used by
openSUSE's build service).

These days, they are not really functionally different, and we'll merge
them completely "fairly soon" again - the resulting code is not affected
at all, either.

We will clear up the confusion on the DownloadSoftware page too. It is
my hope that the build service, which now builds packages for really all
major distributions, can become the canonical source for releasing the
packages. (It builds in clean environments in reproducible ways, clearly
preferable to uploading hand build packages.)

(What distro maintainers then include will, as always, depend on the
distros.)

> _That_ was precisely my goal; provide feedback directly to the
> developers, instead of rediscovering bugs other packagers have found,
> and maintaining a bunch of local patches to track a parallel version
> of the HA project's packaging.

The openSUSE Build Service _is_ driven by the key developers on the
Linux-HA / Pacemaker project. Yes, that's somewhat confusing, and we
need to clear that up - mostly, I think, by removing the confusing
messages on the DownloadSoftware page.

Thanks for encouraging us to move ahead with that.

> It's folks like him that make me pleased to deal with OSS projects;
> he's in the thick of things, trying to provide to the community.
> Hopefully I haven't critically irked him with my tone in these
> messages...

He's quite hard to irk, I'm told. ;-)

Regards,
    Lars