Hi,

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 07:42:50AM +0400, Rodney McKee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to fail over 9 addresses between 2 firewalls using the
> following send_arp syntax:
>
> send_arp <ext_interface> xxx.xxx.29.185 <ext_mac_addr> xxx.xxx.27.249
> ffffffffffff
> and
> send_arp <ext_interface> xxx.xxx.29.185 <ext_mac_addr> xxx.xxx.29.191
> ffffffffffff
>
> with no success.
>
> The networks we have are xxx.xxx.27.248/29 and xxx.xxx.29.184/29
> The default gateway is xxx.xxx.27.249
>
> I had no issues with the fail-over of the xxx.xxx.27.248/29 addresses but
> could not get the xxx.xxx.29.184/29 addresses to fail over at all. The
> traffic for xxx.xxx.29.184/29 was still appearing appearing on the original
> firewall even when the IP had been removed.
>
> I did have the provider flush their arp cache but weather they did it in the
> right place, your guess is as good as mine.

The router which is next to your hosts should handle this. It
could also be a problem with a switch, if you have one in
between. It depends on the make I guess, sometimes perhaps on the
firmware release. Now and again a discussion about this used to
take place on this list, but it has been a long time since the
last one. Maybe you can check the archives.

> Am I doing something wrong and if so what?
> Or is it an issue with the network providers network and what might it be?

Thanks,

Dejan