On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 08:37:33PM +0100, Michael Schwartzkopff wrote:
> Am Montag, 23. M?rz 2009 20:01:13 schrieb Dejan Muhamedagic:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 05:09:00PM +0100, Michael Schwartzkopff wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > in the metadata of the pengine I found the option no-quorum-policy which
> > > can be set to "suicide".
> > >
> > > What exactly does the node do, when this option is set up suicide?
> >
> > Should commit suicide, i.e. reboot. But I never tried that.
> >
> > > Has STONITH to be configured to make this option work?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > > As far as I remenber, there once was the dicsussion, that no node can
> > > commit suicide via STONITH. Is this still valid?
> >
> > Yes. With the exception for the suicide plugin. But I'd recommend
> > using a "real" device for stonith.
> >
> > > Makes this option sense, If STONITH
> > > is used? Or a some other mechanism used?
> >
> > Normally, stonith should take care of that.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dejan
>
> Thanks for your mail. But somehow I do not quite understand your answer. On
> the one hand you say that STONITH does not have to be configured

Please don't take words out of context like that.

> on the other
> hand you say that "Normally, stonith should take care of that".

Yes.

> Please could
> you clarify the suicide process in the no-quorum-policy? Thanks.

I guess that under some circumstances people would want to have a
node try to commit suicide in case of quorum lost. Perhaps the
user doesn't want to trust the node's ability to stop resources,
in which case this could serve as a quick "all resources stop".
Right now, can't think of any other reason.

However, that's no substitute for fencing. Note that there are
other situations where fencing is necessary.

Thanks,

Dejan