Hi,

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 05:11:17PM +0200, Annette J?kel wrote:
> Hi,
> I dont understand the meaning of a stonith clone resource. I have a two node
> cluster and every node has to stonith to the IP of the other node. So I have
> two stonith resources and a placement for each of them. But if I define only
> one stonith resource and clone it, the params would be the same on each
> clone, wouldn't it?

Depends on the plugin, i.e. if it supports multiple hostnames.
Most support only one and in that case obviously you need two
resources (clones won't make sense in that case).

> Until now I have no pingd resource. If I define a pingd resource, do I
> further need a stonith resource or is it an either...or decision?

It's not. You need both.

> Seems to
> me stonith is more than pingd because pingd only checks communication and
> decide to fence a resource but stonith can make a decision to

pingd can't fence. It can only help CRM decide where to place
resources.

> shutdown/reboot a whole node (regardingly to the stonith resource used). But
> depends stonith from the results of pingd checks?

No.

> If I define ucasts in
> ha.cf, stonith and a pingd resource - when would a stonith be shoot?

Typical cases for fencing is if we can't talk to a node, hence we
don't know what's going on there, and if a resource fails to
stop, because then we don't know in which state that resource is.
There could be others. For example, you can set on-fail="fence"
for any operation on any resource.

Thanks,

Dejan

P.S. See the other recent post and take a look at the document. I
hope that there are still people reading documentation :)