On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Lars Ellenberg
<lars.ellenb...@linbit.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 02:22:32PM +0200, James Brackinshaw wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a two node heartbeat setup on Centos 5.3.
>>
>> The two nodes are in separate locations and connected only via
>> ethernet. Because of this we require that a human guarantee that a
>> node is dead before a switchover occurs. We use meatclient for this.
>>
>> Automatic failback is turned off. We would like the primary node to do
>> all of the work unless we manually switch roles or the primary node
>> dies.
>>
>> We recently had a network outage. We expected that the primary node
>> would stay active and providing services. Instead, the two nodes
>> switched roles while the network was being repaired.
>>
>> I cannot understand how the role switching happened since we ran no
>> scripts manually (at least not at the start), and did not run
>> meatclient.
>>
>> Can anyone help me understand why this happened?
>
> Connectivity came back.
>
>> I attach my log files.
>
> I did not have a look.
>
> But you are likely to find
>  WARN node whatever-xy: is dead
>  CRIT: Cluster node whatever-xy returning after partition.
>  WARN: Deadtime value may be too small
>
> this is handled by the cluster software by stopping all resources,
> then starting on the "preferred" node.

Thanks Lars. The first node is preferred. Services are on the first
node to start with, after the split it migrated the services to the
second node (which should not happen without a meatclient
confirmation) and then back again. We used meatclient to avoid the
situation, so what did we do wrong?