A closer look at the ha-debug files, that I posted here an hour ago,
shows that there is a bit of extra detail about reading config files
and then all the same stuff as in ha-log.

At this point, I am beginning to have my doubts about this whole
heartbeat system and its ability to serve for years, in what looks to
me like  simple configuration.

Even more than the fact that it does not work, I am bugged that it is
essentially not transparent, not troubleshootable, and if something
goes wrong with it, it will be hard to troubleshoot under stress.

I mean, I am really asking a basic question, why exactly do they
decide to become, or not become, masters? And there is no answer to
this most important questions in the logs. Just nothing.

The "corosync" project is also unmanageable, having a GUI that does
not work, completely opaque XML based configuration, and extremely
poor documentation.

The reason for trying to create this setup is that we have a three
year old setup, also based on drbd and heartbeat. This system is
having "trouble" because somehow or other, it became a lot slower than
it has been. That is so, even though the hardware is just fine.
Everything just became slower.

In a somewhat similar vein to the current situation, this old system
is quite resistant to troubleshooting as well.

I think that I will do a complete OS reinstall on these two new
machines and will try again, but at this point I am much less
optimistic.

I would like to say that I am very thankful for your help and still
have some hopes, but much less optimistic than I was.

So, are there any simple alternatives to what I am trying to do?