Florian, it is very possible that I overlooked some valuable
documentation. It is also possible that things have improved since I
tried it last summer.

However, at present, my question was to locate and consider
alternatives to drbd and heartbeat.

I will peruse the links that you provided, as, probably, we will end
up using the Heartbeat setup that I created as a replacement.

Functionality of Heartbeat 1.0 was fully sufficient for our needs.

Igor