On 21 Aug 2012, at 20:11, Jon Heese <jhe...@co.weld.co.us> wrote:

> In testing I've found that as long as Apache binds to 0.0.0.0, any IP
> takeovers will work smoothly without Apache restarts.

I've done this for years with haproxy by allowing non-local binding:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_nonlocal_bind

and doing the equivalent in sysctl.conf:

net.ipv4.ip_nonlocal_bind = 1

Then haproxy etc can bind to a floating IP managed by heartbeat (or whatever),
even if it's not currently on that machine.

I've never figured out why people use heartbeat to 'manage' the web front end
when it can just stay running. If haproxy is pointing at multiple web servers,
it can deal with monitoring, failover and balancing for them.

I use heartbeat etc but I find it incredibly hard to work with (Jon Heese's
config file is a great example of something that should be simple but really
isn't) - haproxy is incredibly easy in comparison.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
UK info@hand CRM solutions